We're all a little crazy...

Nicholson Baker’s debut novel, follows Howie, a ‘typical’ office worker in a mall. The entirety of the book occurs while Howie is riding the escalator to the mezzanine, where his office is located. The plot of the book is defined, but does not follow a typical narrative arc. Instead, we follow the random tangents and digressions of Howie reminiscing on his lunch break to purchase new shoe laces and various food items and of his entire past life. As readers of his documented lunch break—almost like a personal journal—we often question Howie’s sanity and normalcy. His tendencies to hyper-fixate on ordinary, mundane details of daily life force us to confront the fact that Howie might not be just an average office worker. However, to his coworkers and those around him, he is a perfectly normal, pleasant, and somewhat forgettable person.

Many would argue that Howie has a loose screw, but actually, his mind is just an unfiltered notebook for all the distracting and off-topic thoughts that we all quietly harbor but have learned to suppress. Rather than being ‘a little off,’ Howie embodies the curious and creative urges that defined us as children. Howie isn’t abnormal for taking the time to notice how everyday things work and feel; he is just the narrator who was brave enough to stand up and acknowledge that life only becomes interesting when you notice the uninteresting.

One of my favorite passages in the book comes from Howie enlightening us of his 8 major advances in his life. On page 20-21, he describes his realization that sweeping is actually fun. Not only does this passage reflect the observant nature of Howie, it also captured a feeling I had never thought to articulate. He describes each action in such unusual language: for example he says, “I found that the act of sweeping around the legs of the chair and the casters of the stereo cabinet and the corners of the bookcase, outlining them with my curving broom-strokes, as if I were putting each chair leg and caster and doorjamb in quotation marks, made me see these familiar features of my room with freshened receptivity” (Baker). His original approach to depicting scenes like this are truly representative of a child’s mind. In describing L.’s favorite part of sweeping, Howie paints a picture of a “ruler-edged” gray line, diminishing in its thickness towards nothingness, but never actually disappearing, almost like a function slowly approaching an asymptote (this is MY metaphor NOT Howie’s).

In encountering Bob Leary on the escalator platform, Howie realizes that if he steps onto the up-escalator, would have to endure a painfully-awkward interaction with Bob. To avoid this, Howie pulls one of the most ridiculous maneuvers: he physically jabs the air above him with his index finger, pantomiming a sudden epiphany popping into his head, and spins to walk away in another direction. As hilarious as it is to imagine this scene, I have to admit that I am guilty of doing very similar things to avoid even just an acknowledgement of acquaintanceship. I have pretended to receive notifications on my phone to look away, dramatically slowed down my cadence to avoid an encounter, and sometimes dramatically pretending to have lost an important item, and briskly stripping my backpack off in an attempt to find said item.

Through the novel, there are many more instances where Howie’s inner monologue felt almost painfully similar to my own. Granted, there are also many descriptions and experiences that I could have never imagined in a million years. Yet even in those descriptions, I can understand the unshielded curiosity behind each seed of thought. In this novel, Howie delineates the line between childhood and adulthood: you become a "true adult" only when the total number of your adult thoughts outweigh your child thoughts (Baker 54-59), however the childhood curiosity of Howie does not seem to dwindle. At the end of the day, Howie is not an eccentric anomaly or awkward freak; he is the embodiment of the certain craziness that we all have, reminding us to defamiliarize the normal.



Baker, Nicholson. The Mezzanine. Grove Press, 2010.

Comments

  1. Hi James,
    Great blog you got there. I really liked your mathematical metaphor. I have to admit that I have also done similar things to avoid an acknowledgement of acquaintanceship especially when I'm alone. It's much easier to navigate these situations for me when there are more people around me because I can always pretend I'm too occupied to interact with someone else by starting to talk with someone else next to me. Overall, I find myself agreeing with you on many topics. Fantastic Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James! I really liked how you focused on Howie's curiosity and unique descriptions as well as revealing some of your own "Howie-like" habits. I too agree that Howie isn't crazy, we as readers are just only exposed to his most personal thoughts and most are some we've thought before we just don't want to admit it. You do a great job of explaining everything and this was so fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James, interesting blog! Yes, there's a ton of times where I also feel like I can relate to Howie's thoughts. But sometimes I think Howie does go a bit too far, like when he tells us that he often imagines peeing on people. Are these thoughts still due to his "childhood curiosity"? I would say probably not. Howie's just a little weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello James. I resonate heavily with the title and the overall message of your post. I think we might be quick to call Howie crazy or social inept when we are bombarded with all of his inner thoughts. Howie says the quiet part out loud, and sometime that is hard to take in when it is so intrusively relatable. I appreciate you pointing out the lengths Howie (and most people) go to avoid having an awkward conversation or even pass by someone. I personally react this way very often when I encounter someone I wasn't expecting to be in a certain setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jamie! I thought this was a great blog post that showed how Howie is actually more normal than people perceive him to be at first glance. I agree that, although Howie’s digressions can make him seem like he could have loose screws, oftentimes these thoughts he has are things that we all can relate to. Whether it’s finding random interactions with other people awkward or finding sweeping fun (lowkey very satisfying), Howie is actually a lot more relatable, as you say. I especially liked how you highlighted the fact that his coworkers see him like a normal person, which shows us how we only think he’s a little weird because we are peering into his mind, which has these thoughts that are never really shared out loud. However, as the great Anthony mentioned, I do believe that he is a little bit of a weirdo for imagining peeing on others' faces. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi James, great blog! I agree that the unfiltered thoughts come off as crazy, but in reality they can be attributed to his curious and creative urges. However, I also think that there is a level of craziness to Howie that isn't just related to those urges (ie the vivid description of urination techniques). There is a sense of rawness of the book that is very relatable. It is part of what makes the book so compelling. I really liked your asymptote analogy! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howie's comment about sweeping putting the legs of his chair "in quotation marks" is an excellent illustration of the clean-background trick at work: the "freshened receptivity" he describes is a result of the chair legs getting a clean background, and he's now able to SEE them in a way he couldn't before. When you clean your room, the next time you walk through the door it will hit you--you SEE the room anew, it seems fresh, different. In class I tried to articulate how metaphor takes words from the flow of everyday use and suspends them in quotation marks of a sort--we see the words AS words, and this enables ambiguity, multiple meanings, and metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi James, nice blog! I also wrote about the childish aspects of Howie, but I think that you brought up some interesting points. I like how you point out that Howie is sort of an “unfiltered notebook” and I never really thought of describing him like that. I was also considering talking about Howie’s 8 great revelations in my blog but decided not to and I think you did a great job of putting that into your blog. I also like how you talk about Howie avoiding the awkward confrontation and I relate to that a lot. Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello James! I do think it is incredibly interesting how successful Howie is at reminding us to watch our thoughts to see what random things we are actually entertaining ourselves with each day. I am also totally guilty of avoiding making eye contact with an acquaintance by doing super random things. I've taken a different set of stairs, ruffled aggressively through my locker, or looked intently at my watch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, James. I really liked your argument that Howie isn’t actually strange, but instead represents the thoughts most people have and choose not to share. Your discussion of the sweeping passage was especially effective because it shows how Baker makes everyday activities feel new and interesting through Howie’s perspective. I also thought the connection between Howie’s awkward escalator avoidance and our own social habits makes it so real and immersive. Your conclusion ties everything together well, Howie’s real gift is his ability to “defamiliarize the normal” and remind us to pay closer attention to the ordinary parts of life that we usually overlook.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts